Division of Catholic Senior Housing and Health Care Services, Inc.
(610) 865-5595 Nursing and Rehabilitation Personal Care Homes Independent Living Corporate Office
Our History





History of Catholic Senior Housing and Health Care Services, Inc.
1963 – 2013
“Founded In Love, With Faith In Our Future”

1962 Under the guidance of Bishop Joseph McShea the Diocese of Allentown
purchased Grace Mansion, the former home of Bethlehem Steel Company President Eugene Grace, at1317 Prospect Avenue, Bethlehem.

1963 On January 13, 1963, the Feast of the Holy Family, the new residence for 42 elderly was dedicated by Bishop McShea and named Holy Family Manor, a home “where love of God and love of neighbor abound”.

1963 The Convent for Sisters of the Precious Blood was established at an adjoining residence at 1220 Prospect Avenue, the former home of Bethlehem Steel Company President Edmund F. Martin. The Sisters would provide the care to residents of Holy Family Manor.

1968 Holy Family Pavilion, with its stately entrance at 1200 Spring Street, Bethlehem, was constructed as an addition to Grace Mansion and opened as a skilled and intermediate nursing facility.

1977 Holy Family Home Health Care, Pottsville, began nursing visitation in Schuylkill County. Holy Family Home Health later became Covenant Home Care.

1983 Holy Family Manor was incorporated as Holy Family Manor, Inc. and a 15 member Board of Directors was formed to govern.

1984 Holy Family Adult Day Care Center opened at 1200 Spring Street. It was closed in 1999 after 15 years of service.

1984 Holy Family Residence opened at 217 Spring Garden Street, Easton, at a former Episcopal Church Rectory and St. Michael’s Parish Rectory.

1985 Queen of Peace Apartments at 777 Water Street, Pottsville opened, providing 48 subsidized apartments for seniors.

1986 Neumann Apartments at 25 Nichols Street, St. Clair, and Schuylkill County opened, providing 24 subsidized apartments for seniors.

1986 St. Francis Adult Day Care Center opened in Orwigsburg and was dedicated on
October 18.

1986 Holy Family Home Health Care expanded services to Mt. Penn, Berks County.
Holy Family Home Health Care later became Covenant Home Care.

1987 Holy Family Residence opened at 417 Hayes Street, Bethlehem in the former convent of St. John Capistrano Parish.

1987 Holy Family Personal Care Residence at St. Francis Center opened in Orwigsburg.

1987 Queen of Angels Apartments at 22 Rothermel Street, Laureldale opened providing 45 subsidized apartments for seniors.

1988 Holy Family Apartments Valley and Clay Streets, New Philadelphia opened providing 11 subsidized apartments for seniors.

1989 Holy Family Adult Day Care opened at Holy Ghost on October 2nd.

1991 Antonian Towers at 2405 Hillside Avenue Wilson Borough opened providing 50 subsidized apartments for seniors.

1992 Holy Family Apartments at 330 – 338 Thirteenth Avenue, Bethlehem opened providing 50 subsidized apartments for seniors.

1992 Holy Family Manor opened McShea Pavilion, increasing the total capacity for skilled nursing and rehabilitation to 208 beds. The Pavilion was dedicated by Bishop Thomas J. Welsh on August 30.

1993 Grace Mansion, 1317 Prospect Avenue, Bethlehem (formerly providing nursing home care) was renovated and opened as a personal care residence for the elderly. Residents from the Hayes Street and Easton locations moved to Grace Mansion.

1993 Trexler Pavilion, 1220 Prospect Avenue, Bethlehem (former Holy Family Manor convent) was renovated and opened as a personal care residence for the elderly. It was dedicated by Bishop Welsh on July 17.

1999 Seton Manor, a nursing facility, sponsored by the Diocese of Allentown and Ascension Health, was dedicated by Bishop Edward P. Cullen on January 10. In July 2009 Ascension Health became the sole corporate member of Seton Manor.

2005 The name Holy Family Manor, Inc. was changed to Catholic Senior Housing and Health Care Services, Inc. to fully encompass all of the services provided through the corporation; Holy Family Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Personal Care Homes (also known as Residential Services), Catholic Senior Housing Development and Management (Senior Apartment Communities).

2006 Holy Family Manor Thrift Shop was dedicated by Rev. Mgr. Alfred A. Schlert on July 18th. All proceeds benefited the residents of Catholic Senior Housing and Health Care Services.

2007 Holy Family Senior community is licensed for Independent Living, achieving Continuing Care Retirement Community status.

2008 Expansion of Holy Family Pavilion provides dining/activity rooms for second and third floors, the outdoor patio, a sheltered entrance, a rooftop terrace, and an expanded Therapy Department.

2008 Recognizing the trend for short-term rehabilitation Holy Family Manor designates the East wing of McShea Pavilion as a Short-Term Rehabilitation Unit.

2009 The renovated St. Ann Chapel at Holy Family Manor was dedicated by Bishop John Barres on October 2.

2011 St. Ann Senior Apartments at 30 East Bertsch Street, Lansford was dedicated by Bishop John O. Barres on April 26th, providing 17 subsidized apartments for seniors. In December, the Personal Care Residence in Orwigsburg and the Thrift Shop were closed.

2012 St. Catharine Senior Apartments at 2000 Perkiomen Avenue, Reading (Mt. Penn) was dedicated by Rev. Msgr. Dennis T. Hartgen, Dean of Berks County, on May 1st, providing 35 subsidized apartments for seniors. In November, Holy Family Manor expanded its Therapy Facility to provide additional treatment areas for long-term and short-term patients.

2013 On January 13 Catholic Senior Housing and Health Care Services, Inc. began a year – long celebration of 50 years of ministry caring for older adults with an Anniversary Mass, celebrated by Bishop John O. Barres in St. Ann Chapel at Holy Family Manor, followed by a reception. The theme of the anniversary year is “Founded in Love, With Faith In Our Future”.

2015 Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer Michael Melnic introduces a strategic operating strategy to respond to the increase in post – acute, medically complex patients seeking care with a new care model and delivery platform for Sub – Acute Care and Short Term Rehabilitation services at Holy Family Manor.

2016 Dr. Ronald J. Buckley retires as Medical Director of Holy Family Manor and Dr. Alaa-Eldin Mira, Chief of Geriatrics at St. Luke’s University Health Network is appointed.